Familiarize yourself with different power quality issues and perspectives. Understand the cause and reduce the effects of harmonics to an electrical power system. Identify different power quality problems and specify solutions.
Who Should Attend
This course will enhance the understanding and increase competencies for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Engineering department staff
- Test engineers
- Cadet engineers
- Substation engineers
- Engineering faculty members
On Site Training
Maximize personnel improvement and minimize downtime with our on-site programs to help you implement the best methods relevant to your business climate.More Info
At the end of the program, the participants will be able to:
- Familiarize with the different power quality issues and perspectives.
- Identify different power quality problems.
- Specify solutions for a particular power quality problem.
- Understand the cause and effect of harmonics to electrical system.
- Identify the ways to mitigate the effects of harmonics.
- Design a harmonic filter.
- Specify the transformer K factor rating.
- Understand the usage of power quality analyzer.
- Renewed Awareness
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Power Quality Problem
- Voltage Limits Allowed by ERC
- End-User Perception
- Utility Perception
- Power Quality Issues
- End-User Concerns
- Utility Concerns
- Equipment Manufacturer’s Concern
- Ideal Voltage or Current Waveform
- Voltage or Current Deviation
B. POWER QUALITY PROBLEMS
- Impulsive Transient
- Oscillatory Transient
- Sustained Power Interruption
- Momentary Power Interruption
- Short Duration Power Interruption
- Voltage Sag
- Voltage Swell
- Voltage Imbalance
- Voltage Fluctuation
- Harmonic Distortion
- Voltage Variation Computation
- Voltage Unbalance Computation
C. SOLUTIONS TO POWER QUALITY PROBLEMS
- Motor Generator Sets
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
- Ferroresonant Transformers Or Constant Voltage Transformer
- Dynamic Voltage Restorer
- Static VAR Compensator
- Isolation Transformers and Reactors (chokes)
- Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor (TVSS)
- Line Voltage Regulators
- Harmonic Filters
- Lightning Protection
- Surge Protection
- Power Quality Meter
- Power Quality Analyzer
A. POWER SYSTEM HARMONICS
- Definition of Terms
- Sources of Harmonic Currents
- Effects of Harmonics
- System Response Characteristics
- Resonance Conditions
- Control of Harmonic Currents
- Analysis Methods
- Design of Harmonic Filter
- Derating of Power Equipment
- Power Failures Due To Harmonics
- K Factor Rating of Transformer
B. HANDS-ON ON POWER QUALITY AND HARMONICS
- June 22 to 23, 2017
Engr. Eduardo M. Pabuna , Jr. RME
15 years of experience in electrical design and substation testing makes Engr. Pabuna an ideal course facilitator for Electrical Design and Substation maintenance. He combines the theories and updates it with the industry practice while maximizing the use of the Electrical Design and Simulation Analysis Paladin software. Engr. Pabuna is also a resource speaker for various international and local conferences/seminars such as IIEE, Meralco and ABB to name a few. His engineering practice also involves supply, installation, testing and commissioning for major clients like National Power Corporation, Cebu-Mactan Interconnection project, Lafarge Cement, Clark Substation NGCP Project, San Miguel Corporation and various electric cooperatives. Engr. Pabuna is currently the Engineering Head of WESTCO Electrical and Equipment Corp.
Engr. Alex Castro, REE
Engr. Castro’s exposure to testing of substation apparatus such as power transformers, potential transformers, current transformers, circuit breakers, disconnect switches and surge arresters equip him with the technical knowledge and experience to share in his seminars. His experience also comes from Meralco Industrial Engineering Services Corp. as a Project Supervisor. He is currently the Section Head of the Engineering department for WESTCO Electrical and Equipment Corp.
Power Quality and Harmonics
per person (inclusive of snacks, lunch, computer hands-on and certification)
Familiarize yourself with different power quality issues and perspectives.